The Early Years Pupil Premium

Early Years Pupil Premium for three and four year olds

What is the Early Years Pupil Premium?

From April 2015, three and four year old children attending an early years education setting may be eligible to receive Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP). Providers could claim an additional £302 per year for each child to spend on supporting their development, learning and care.

National data and research shows that children of families who meet the Early Years Pupil Premium criteria may need additional help to get the most from their Early Years Education. As with the Pupil Premium available for Hampshire schools for children in Reception up to Year 11, the Early Years Pupil Premium will provide Hampshire early years education approved nurseries, pre-schools and childminders with extra funding to support children in achieving the best early years outcomes and start they can.

How can the Early Years Pupil Premium help your child and others that attend your child’s early years education setting?

The funding can help by providing:

  • Extra training for staff
  • Support for developing children’s speech and language and learning
  • Greater links between the early years education setting and families
  • Further opportunities and experiences to prepare children for starting school

The funding that Cherry Trees may receive for individual children can be ‘pooled’ together across other providers and schools in our locality, enabling access to other opportunities such as a specialist practitioner or specific resources which can be effectively shared.

All early years education providers will have to demonstrate to Ofsted how the EYPP funds have been used to improve children’s education.

Eligibility Criteria

Our setting may be entitled to claim the additional Early Years Pupil Premium funding for a 3 or 4 year old child in receipt of early years education funding (also known as the free early years education entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds):

As a parent/ guardian, you will need to be in receipt of one of the following benefits in order for us to claim for the EYPP funding for your child:

  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit (providing you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit Run-on, paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit

Or if your child:

  • Has been looked after by the local authority, in care for at least one day
  • Has been adopted from care
  • Has left care through special guardianship
  • Is subject to a child arrangements order (previously a residence order)

What do I do next?

If you think your family meets the eligibility criteria, the next steps are:

  • Speak to Helen or Fiona and let us know that you would like to claim the Early Years Pupil Premium for your child. We can then inform you of the information we need to confirm your child’s eligibility.
  • We have sent you an ‘Early Years Pupil Premium’ letter. You should read this and consider whether your family circumstances meet the eligibility criteria.
  • We will need you to complete the confidential ‘Early Years Pupil Premium Voluntary Registration’ form and return it to us.
  • If your child has left care through adoption, special guardianship or a child arrangements order and you would like your child to attract the Early Years Pupil Premium; you should complete the appropriate section of the Early Years Pupil Premium Voluntary Registration form and you must attach a copy of the relevant court order when you return the form to us.
  • We will ask you to update and voluntarily share your income information when the child reaches 3 and 4 years old. 
  • You can inform Cherry Trees of a change in family circumstances and ask us to check EYPP eligibility at other times during the child’s attendance year. 
  • When your child starts school, your school may also ask you to share this information so that they can claim Pupil Premium.